Tuesday, February 3, 2009

FEED!




Hello gang, I am doing my residency at Free Geek and going to try and stay under the radar. For all of you unfamiliar with Free Geek they are a not-for-profit organization that rebuilds used technology to provide computers, education, internet access and job skills training to those in need in exchange for community service. If any of you want to check out the facility or the little thrift store the address is 1731 SE 10th Ave. There are great deals for electronics and accesories that will blow you away. I also love their motto, " helping the needy get nerdy". The vibe there is amazing and everyone i've met has been sweet and helpful. The idea to name my residency project Feed! came while I was waiting for the tour. I was thinking about the relationship with feeding one's hunger (either with food or the desire to learn) and electrical feeds. One being a human emotion while the other is artificial. I would like to combine the two within my projects.

My first day at Free Geek was on Saturday (1/30) and I was immediately put on library duty. An awesome lady named Laurel helped me reorganize the misplaced books. Going through all the books gave me a huge respect for computer programmers and how i'm so glad i'm not one! I will be there again tomorrow at noon (2/4) and hope to hang some fliers for my first project...


No comments: