Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My artist residency in Kindergarten

Hi everyone! I am doing my artist residency in my son's kindergarten classroom. So far I am brainstorming some ideas for the old "kitchen" area. It is either going to become a grocery (in which I will make boxes of food with the kid's pictures and names on them, for instance, Silas' Soup or Kira's Cookies, etc) or a post office and I will get to put in a stationary-making station for the kids (using the left overs from my wedding invitations kits) with card stock, hole punchers, and other arty stuff so that the kids can make letters for each other and in mail carrier costume, "deliver" the letters to each other's "mail boxes" (which I also may be making). I am in the process of brainstorming ideas to further implement each kid's unique identity and input to go into the "local kindergarten post office" experience. The teacher has also offered me up to 30-35 minutes at the beginning of class sometime to teach the kids something should the inspiration hit me as I am observing her interactions, curriculum, and subject matter with the kids. I plan on spending my Mondays and Wednesdays before Art and Soc Policy class in his classroom, so that should give me some good time to get inspired with some project ideas. Today was exciting in that the kids were like a little ocean of movement during story and discussion time, all fidgiting at different moments but like a chain-reaction, one starts moving and then another and then another . . . . Also, kindergartners are soooooo expressive. If the teacher tells them anything, they respond with a hefty "Oooooooooooh" and/or "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh," whether reacting to a surprise or something familiar, they really do not censor or ration their opportunities to "release" these sounds. It is funny how, as we get older, or whatever it is that changes, "Ooooooohhhhhhs" and "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhs" just do not come as frequently and with such uumph. I almost want to start "ooohhhing" and "ahhhhhing" at mundane stuff, like in the grocery line or something. Maybe it will feel really good.

No comments: